top of page
26 Apr 2012 --- Graduates throwing caps in the air

Looking to obtain your graduate visa?

MRG Solicitors can offer the support you require. If you've graduated student but wish to stay in the UK for a while longer, our teams in London and Manchester can assess your options. 

From student to graduate visa holder

After completing your academic programme, you may be eligible to apply for a graduate visa to extend your stay in the UK. This usually applies to international students with a valid Tier 4 General Student Visa. The graduate visa usually allows you to live in the UK for 2 years, with the option to extend your stay for 3 more years if you have completed a doctorate qualification like a PhD. Through this route, our immigration lawyers can help you expand your career and education opportunities before you're forced to leave the country. 

Use our extensive resources and expertise maximise your chances of staying in the UK longer, supporting your transition from student visa holder to successfully obtaining your graduate visa. Eligible partners and children could also continue to stay as dependents on the graduate visa, if they arrived into the country on your original student visa. We'll advise on these matters and more, helping you make the right choice for your circumstances. 

  • What is a consent order?
    A consent order is a legal document that confirms your mutual agreement. It includes details on how the children are to be looked after. Both parents have to sign the draft consent order and get it approved by a judge. It is usually approved without a hearing and saves costs for both parties. If spouses cannot agree, further hearings will need to be held. A CAFCASS officer may spent time with the children and parents for a detail assessment and additional information may also be required. The court will then make a final decision on the arrangements, which is then recorded as an official, legally binding order. The consent order covers: Living arrangements The amount of time spent with each parent When and what types of contact can occur (such as phone calls)
  • Applying for a court order
    If you cannot reach an agreement, then a family judge will decide: Which parent will raise the child How much time the other parent can spend with the child What the financial needs of the child are and how they will be met The child’s parents of anyone with parental responsibility can apply for a court order. This includes grandparents however, they will need to obtain permission from the court first before applying for a child arrangement order.
  • What is parental responsibility?
    Parental responsibility pertains to the legal duties, rights, power, and authority that a parent or parental figure has for their child, i.e., their right to make decisions regarding their child. A mother always has parental responsibility. A father usually has parental responsibility if he’s either: Married to the child’s mother Listed on the birth certificate (after a certain date, depending on which part of the UK the child was born in) Having parental responsibility does not mean that you are legally allowed to spend time with your children after separation. It only indicates that the custodial parent needs to receive your permission before making important decisions concerning the children. These include changing schools, moving abroad and other essential matters.
  • What is a Specific Issue Order?
    A specific issue order covers how a child is brought up. This includes: The school they attend If they have a religious education or not Change of name You can also opt for a prohibited steps order to prevent the other parent or ex-spouse from making decisions in their regard.
  • What happens if there is an order breach?
    If the other party breaches the court order already in place, we can represent you in court. We may also recover your cost of enforcement of order from the party who was in breach of the order.
Portrait of happy students in graduation gowns holding diplomas on university campus

“Very professional service and a competent team. I had a smooth experience with my case application with the help of MRG solicitors.”

- Safwan

Continue your education and work with MRG Solicitors

To get the ball rolling, call 01615 299777 to speak with MRG Solicitors and our experts based in London and Manchester. 

bottom of page