top of page
Couple meeting with real estate agent

Advice for EEA nationals

As of 31st January 2020, the UK was no longer an EU/EEA member state. Whilst this might be daunting, MRG Solicitors and our teams in London and Manchester are here to help. Read on to learn more about some things you need to know as an EEA national.

Maintain your living status in the UK

The right of EEA and EU citizens to move freely in the UK ended on 31st December 2020, i.e., when the transition period for Brexit ended. This means that EEA nationals are subject to immigration controls that people from other countries have to undergo. There are certain exceptions, however. For example, Irish citizens can still move freely in the UK as per the Common Travel Area arrangements.


if you were living in the UK before the transition period ended and have exercised freedom of movement rights during that period, you can secure your immigration status by applying for the EU Settlement Scheme. We can help you and your family apply for the correct visa, whether you wish to remain in the UK or enter the country, and advise on the proof needed to encourage your application's success. Get in touch to discuss which route you need to take. 

  • What is a consent order?
    A consent order is a legal document that confirms your mutual agreement. It includes details on how the children are to be looked after. Both parents have to sign the draft consent order and get it approved by a judge. It is usually approved without a hearing and saves costs for both parties. If spouses cannot agree, further hearings will need to be held. A CAFCASS officer may spent time with the children and parents for a detail assessment and additional information may also be required. The court will then make a final decision on the arrangements, which is then recorded as an official, legally binding order. The consent order covers: Living arrangements The amount of time spent with each parent When and what types of contact can occur (such as phone calls)
  • Applying for a court order
    If you cannot reach an agreement, then a family judge will decide: Which parent will raise the child How much time the other parent can spend with the child What the financial needs of the child are and how they will be met The child’s parents of anyone with parental responsibility can apply for a court order. This includes grandparents however, they will need to obtain permission from the court first before applying for a child arrangement order.
  • What is parental responsibility?
    Parental responsibility pertains to the legal duties, rights, power, and authority that a parent or parental figure has for their child, i.e., their right to make decisions regarding their child. A mother always has parental responsibility. A father usually has parental responsibility if he’s either: Married to the child’s mother Listed on the birth certificate (after a certain date, depending on which part of the UK the child was born in) Having parental responsibility does not mean that you are legally allowed to spend time with your children after separation. It only indicates that the custodial parent needs to receive your permission before making important decisions concerning the children. These include changing schools, moving abroad and other essential matters.
  • What is a Specific Issue Order?
    A specific issue order covers how a child is brought up. This includes: The school they attend If they have a religious education or not Change of name You can also opt for a prohibited steps order to prevent the other parent or ex-spouse from making decisions in their regard.
  • What happens if there is an order breach?
    If the other party breaches the court order already in place, we can represent you in court. We may also recover your cost of enforcement of order from the party who was in breach of the order.
Man holding a legal document in hand. Lawyer holding law paper in office

“I highly recommend this law firm for all immigration matters. I got very good result and they keep me updated every step of my process. Head, Mr. Waseem Ahmed is a very intelligent and knowledgeable personality. All other staff are very friendly and supportive.”

- Visinhu

Pursue your medical career in the UK without the worry

Call 01615 299777 to work with MRG Solicitors and learn more about securing your health and care worker visa.

bottom of page