top of page
Airplane boarding, entrance

Child abduction support  

Specialising in complex international child abduction cases with the experience and knowledge needed to take swift action in a lawful manner. Work with MRG Solicitors and our teams in Manchester and London to reach a resolution quickly.  

Abduction and Wrongful Retention  

An abduction happens when a parent takes a child who is younger than 16 years of age without the permission of the other parent. Parents can take their children out of the country without consent for a specific duration only if a Special Guardianship or Child Arrangement has been issued. The court will consider child abduction if the trip lasts more than 28 days. 


Wrongful retention applies if the child is retained in the foreign country that he/she visits when they go on an oversea trip with a parent. Even if the other parent gave their permission for the trip, they have a case if that trip is extended without consent. In these extremely complex and time-sensitive cases, MRG Solicitors can provide the support and legal guidance you require.  

  • What is a consent order?
    A consent order is a legal document that confirms your mutual agreement. It includes details on how the children are to be looked after. Both parents have to sign the draft consent order and get it approved by a judge. It is usually approved without a hearing and saves costs for both parties. If spouses cannot agree, further hearings will need to be held. A CAFCASS officer may spent time with the children and parents for a detail assessment and additional information may also be required. The court will then make a final decision on the arrangements, which is then recorded as an official, legally binding order. The consent order covers: Living arrangements The amount of time spent with each parent When and what types of contact can occur (such as phone calls)
  • Applying for a court order
    If you cannot reach an agreement, then a family judge will decide: Which parent will raise the child How much time the other parent can spend with the child What the financial needs of the child are and how they will be met The child’s parents of anyone with parental responsibility can apply for a court order. This includes grandparents however, they will need to obtain permission from the court first before applying for a child arrangement order.
  • What is parental responsibility?
    Parental responsibility pertains to the legal duties, rights, power, and authority that a parent or parental figure has for their child, i.e., their right to make decisions regarding their child. A mother always has parental responsibility. A father usually has parental responsibility if he’s either: Married to the child’s mother Listed on the birth certificate (after a certain date, depending on which part of the UK the child was born in) Having parental responsibility does not mean that you are legally allowed to spend time with your children after separation. It only indicates that the custodial parent needs to receive your permission before making important decisions concerning the children. These include changing schools, moving abroad and other essential matters.
  • What is a Specific Issue Order?
    A specific issue order covers how a child is brought up. This includes: The school they attend If they have a religious education or not Change of name You can also opt for a prohibited steps order to prevent the other parent or ex-spouse from making decisions in their regard.
  • What happens if there is an order breach?
    If the other party breaches the court order already in place, we can represent you in court. We may also recover your cost of enforcement of order from the party who was in breach of the order.

“Great experience on some independent legal advice I needed. Quick response and easily understood”


Act fast with MRG Solicitors

Call our teams in Manchester and London on 01615 299777 for child abduction support when it matters most. 

bottom of page